Indicates that the item is a Top Pick. The full review is available in 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.
CAUTION: Fourth or fifth grade is when the failure to understand concepts which have been taught earlier often shows up. Sometimes children can progress well through math programs by simple rote learning of processes. At upper levels they need to combine a number of processes and understand how and why to do so. If they have not understood what they have been learning, they begin to stumble at this point. If your child is having trouble with fraction functions or word problems at this point, back up and review as much as necessary before continuing. It will probably be necessary to reteach via a different method rather than simply repeating the same instruction the student did not comprehend the first time. Manipulatives are often the key to understanding in such situations.
Of particular interest at this level is Key To Fractions (Key Curriculum Press), a great resource for additional help with fraction concepts.
- 24 Game: Single Digits , Double Digits , Add/Subtract Primer, Multiply/Divide Primer, Fractions/Decimals, and Algebra/Exponents
- ADD-Arithmetic Developed Daily
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division Songs Kits (CD's)
- AIMS Education Math Activity Books
- Arcademics Online Academic Games
- Area Model Multiplication: 4-Day Bundle
- Baseball Math
- Brain Quest
- Challenging Word Problems
- DIVE Into Math
- Fahrenheit: The Weather Card Game
- Family Math
- Football Math
- Fourmation Game
- Grocery Cart Math
- Head for Home Word Problems
- Holey Cards
- Horse Lover's Math
- How to Be Good at Math
- Key to Series
- Learning Wrap-Ups
- Mac’s Abacus Basic
- Math Dash Board Games
- Math Facts that Stick
- Math Noodlers Games
- Math Rider
- Math Sprints
- Mathematicians are People, Too, volumes one and two
- Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction, Division Songs (Twin Sisters)(audio CD's and workbooks)
- One Hundred Sheep, Skip Counting Songs from the Gospels
- The Original Skip Count Kid or The Skip Count Kid's Bible Heroes
- Process Skills in Problem Solving Series
- Saxon Math Teacher Computer CD's
- Spanish ABC book and CD
- Super Teacher Worksheets Website
- Tang Math Games
- Times Tales
- Time-Travel Math: An Advanced Geometry Adventure for Grades 4-5
- Triangle Flash Cards
- Two Plus Two Is Not Five AND Five Times Five Is Not Ten
- Visible Thinking in Mathematics
- Who's Counting Math Card Game
- Wonder Number Learning System
- Your Busines$ Math Series
Math Supplements Web Links
free printable worksheets for math for kindergarten level through pre-algebra plus formatted handwriting pages
- education.com math word problem worksheets
free printable math worksheets for preschool through high school with lots of variety
- Graphite reviews
Graphite is a site that hosts teacher reviews and ratings for online games and websites as well as apps. Free and no registration required.
- iPracticeMath.com free worksheets
iPracticeMath.com offers free math worksheets for grades 1 -5 that can be completed online or printed for use offline. They cover most topics for the elementary grades. Topical lessons are also available. You can also subscribe monthly ($10) or yearly ($60) to get access to resources for grades 6 through 8 and Algebra 1. Word problems and quizzes are available for all grade levels only through paid membership. The system automatically tracks students and provides reports.
KinderTown is a website that reviews apps for iPads and iPhones, providing an easy interface for finding useful educational apps for ages 3 to 8. See my brief review of KinderTown here.
- Learn ’em Forwards and Backwards
David Chandler of Math Without Borders has created a free online flashcard-style program to help students master multiplication and division facts. The program even tracks student progress including recording response time. Problems are present in a spiral fashion as students work through five levels toward mastery.
- Math is Fun.com
free online site with curriculum, individual lessons, games, worksheets, puzzles for PreK through high school. Click here for my review.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
free, animated demonstrations of how many different manipulatives are used to teach concepts, primarily for the elementary grades
free online site that helps you find games, videos, and software by grade level, subject area, and standards covered
- Sheppard Software Math
free drill games for K through 8—games drill basic operations, fractions, decimals, measurment, time, money, and more
- Spirit of Math iPad App
This colorful app provides five types of drills at different levels that should be especially good for students in the elementary grades who are advanced in math. These are timed drills that take five or ten minutes to complete.
- Ten Good iPad Apps for Elementary School Math Practice
iPad Apps for School recommends "Ten Good iPad Apps for Elementary School Math Practice"
- Zoom Chess
Zoom Chess is a subscription-based site for online "curriculum" for all levels of chess players from beginners to advanced players. Differentiated lessons adapt to provide children with sequential learning appropriate for each student.